You’ve heard me talk about the importance of choosing a local lender…and it’s not just because I love all things local!
There are many benefits to using a local lender, here are just a few:
- Face to Face – Choosing your lender is just as important as choosing your real estate agent. You should work with someone you trust, who you can meet in person, who can explain the process to you, and someone who is easy to get ahold of (no thanks, automated phone system that gives me a new person to talk to every time!)
The fact that you can show up at their office makes you more than a number in a corporate database. They want to go the extra mile and build a relationship with you.
- Knowledge of the Market – Local lenders have knowledge of the market you’re buying in, which means they understand local property values in the area and can truly know the market value of your home. Online lenders have no way of understanding the ins and outs of the city you’re buying a home in because they don’t live there.
- Reputation – When you write an offer, you have to also submit your pre-approval which has your lender info on it. Because most agents understand the importance of working with a local lender, having an out of state lender on that pre-approval could make your offer look less appealing (especially if there are others you’re competing with).
- Relationships – Not only is it important for you to establish trust with your lender, but they want to establish trust with me as the agent as well. A local lender has more of a vested interest in keeping the agent happy because they can tell other agents and clients about their great experience vs an online lender who isn’t in a referral based business.
- Less Stress – Local lenders will be easier to get ahold of whether you need something last minute or have a question you need answered.
I have a list of trusted local lenders I can refer you to! Do your research but remember: shop local!